Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rule #30: Keep sports and politics separate

There's been a lot of talk lately about the new Arizona immigration law, so much so that it's even found it's way into sports conversations

Players and managers, like Adrian Gonzalez, Heath Bell and Ozzie Guillen, have threatened to boycott the 2011 MLB All-Star Game in Phoenix, Arizona.

Officials from San Fransisco have called for the game to be moved out of Arizona entirely.

And some activists have even taken to protesting the Arizona Diamondbacks at ball parks.

It's an issue I feel strongly about, but I don't want to get into the politics of the Arizona law. If you know me personally you can guess where I stand and if you frequent the WeAreSC.com Off-Topic Forum my feelings have been made more than clear.

But I'm not going to get into it because I don't think it has a place on a sports blog as a political issue.

For that same reason I'm going to scold these players and managers and fans and officials for making this issue about baseball, when it has no place in the sport.

If they want to go ahead and voice displeasure at the law, I have absolutely no problem with that. Hell, even Shakira has gotten into the discussion.

But taking it out on the Diamondbacks is almost as stupid as it is ridiculous. And demanding that Phoenix lose it's chance to host the All-Star Game is just as misguided.

If you disagree with the law, take your frustration and use it in the political sphere. The law has nothing to do with the All-Star Game and the All-Star Game has nothing to do with the law.

China still got to host the Olympics and it's human rights violations are one hundred times that of anything alleged in the new law.

There is, however, one group I would gladly beg to boycott Arizona in the coming weeks. On behalf of all Phoenix Suns fans, I implore the San Antonio Spurs to refuse to play in the state and forfeit all such games. Please, pretty please.

Quick Hits:

  • Former USC running back Joe McKnight had a rough start to his pro career with the New York Jets as a stomach flu, nerves and maybe some conditioning issues led to a questionable performance. McKnight dropped easy passes, battled muscle cramps and vomited. I'm not going to jump on McKnight over practices that won't mean much in the end. However, while I admire his being honest about not being in shape, if I'm the Jets I sit him down and lay down the law about what it takes to be committed to being a successful pro - particularly being prepared. In fact, McKnight's admission makes Mark Sanchez's sage advice even more essential. If anyone can show a young running back what commitment looks like it's LaDainian Tomlinson.
  • While we are on the topic of former USC running backs - here are a couple nice articles about Stafon Johnson's inspirational journey to the NFL. The first features just Johnson and his recovery from a near-fatal weightlifting accident, the second looks at the paths of Johnson and fellow rookie running back LeGarrette Blount to the NFL and the Tennessee Titans.
  • Can you feel it? The World Cup is oh so close (should I be embarrassed that I just squealed like a girl at that thought? -oh wait... ). So here's a nice little preview of goal scorers to watch out for. And the World Cup theme song to pump you up some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment